Covering activities from 1 September – 30 September 2011
The Transport portfolio meets monthly with representatives from Auckland Transport. The September meeting was attended by myself and Greg Moyle (Transport Portfolio – West) and Christopher Dempsey (Transport Portfolio – East). Issues covered at the meeting included:
- Wynyard Quarter Parking – proposed extension of parking restrictions (at the request of local businesses and to standardise parking restrictions in the area)
- Vine Street- Auckland Transport’s reconsideration of a proposal to remove parking from one side of the street
- Richmond Road School – Auckland Transport’s handling of the school’s request for a signalised intersection
- Richmond Road Feasibility Study – review of safety improvement focusing on pedestrians and cyclists
- Cycle Improvements to intersections – costs and options to prioritize
- Symonds Street 40 km zone proposal
Full details of these proposals and current issues are out lined in Auckland Transport’s monthly report attached to the Board agenda (available at www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/waitemataunder agendas).
During the month I met with Auckland Transport officers regarding proposals for the Freemans Bay bus service and consultation regarding the St Marys Bay parking trial. Relevant to the transport portfolio I also attended during September the opening of the Old Mill Road pedestrian bridge, the launch of the RWC visitor bike hire scheme and the September Transport Committee meeting.
I was delegated with the Chair to determine the final draft wording of our local board plan for subsequent approval by the board. Following the conclusion of hearings on 8 September and further discussion on the key initiatives in the plan by the Board at our September workshop the final draft wording was signed off by the Chair on 28 September. The Auckland Plan was launched on 20 September. As a local board we play a role in encouraging community engagement with the draft plan and ensuring submissions are received by 25 October.
I attended our Board’s briefing (led by the Chair) on the City Centre Master plan and Waterfront plan to our key stakeholders at Waterfront Auckland on 21 September. On 20 September I addressed the Environment and Sustainability forum regarding Community Gardens in the Waitemata Local Board area and to support the proposal for officers to report back on options for Council in relation to community garden activity.
The Community portfolio met with the Community leasing team during the month to discuss the leasing process for a number of vacant Council properties (to be reported back at our November board meeting).
The Grants Committee met on 5 September to consider the applications to the Local Board Community Grants fund ($80,000 is available for 2011/12). The minutes from this meeting are available on the Auckland Council website. The final decision on these applications was made at the Waitemata Local Board meeting on 12 September.
Local Board Briefings
- Tepid Bath site visit ·
- City Centre Master plan and Waterfront plan briefing to key stakeholders hosted by the Waitemata Local Board at Waterfront Auckland
- Auckland Plan briefing for board members
- Auckland Transport monthly briefing
Local Board Workshops Attended:
- Waitemata Local Board workshop on 6 Sept
- Isthmus Local Board joint funding committee workshop on 19 Sept
- Local Board workshop on 20 Sept to finalise details of the Local Board plan
- Local Boards Financial policy workshop on 30 Sept
- All day activity workshop on 26 Sept – the second in a series of workshops leading to the development of the Long Term Plan 2012-22
- 1 Sept Events and community grants
- 1 Sept Communications team
- 2 Sept Elected member IT upgrade training
- 5 Sept Waitemata Local Board Grants Committee
- 6 Sept Governing Body Transport Committee meeting
- 8 Sept Waitemata Local Board meeting – hearings wrap up day
- 12 Sept meeting with the Waitemata Local Board new communications advisors
- 12 Sept meeting with Auckland Transport to discuss the Freemans bus issues and St Marys parking trial consultation documentation
- 13 Sept Waitemata Local Board monthly meeting
- 14 Sept Governing Body Accountability & Performance Committee to hear the details of the Rugby World Cup Opening Match and Ceremony Event Review
- 15 Sept Walking & Cycling Forum hosted by Auckland Transport
- 16 Sept draft BID policy meeting
- 17 Sept meeting with Vine Street residents
- 20 Sept Environment and Sustainability Forum
- 21 Sept Community lease meeting
- 27 Sept meeting with Transpower and the Devonport-Takapuna Local Board to discuss the strengthening the power supply project
- Arrival of the Manu Samoa team at Auckland International Airport on 1 Sept
- Launch of Auckland Transport’s visitor bike hire scheme
- Auckland Indonesian Festival 3 Sept
- Auckland Theatre Company’s production of “End of the Golden Weather” (at the invitation of ATC)
- Salmond lecture Dr Richard Simmons “Sustainable Urban Design – London 2012” at Sky City on 6 Sept
- Opening of the RWC at the Cloud on 9 Sept
- Parnell Heritage AGM 8 Sept
- Opening of Te Wao Nui at Auckland Zoo on 10 Sept
- Boat show (at the invitation of the Marine Industry Association)
- Opening of the Heritage Festival at the Town Hall
- Newmarket Business Association AGM (acted as a scrutineer with Andy Waugh, Economic development advisor)
- Moving Planet bike ride on 24 Sept
- Attended the Fiji v Samoa game at Eden Park with members of the Grey Lynn Business Association
- Opening of the Old Mill road pedestrian bridge by Auckland Transport
I was also actively involved with the Grey Lynn Business Association’s Manu Samoa adopted second team events. I attended the Grey Lynn Street Party on 22 Sept, Savalivali Heritage walk on 24 September and Community Festival. I organised the West Lynn Street Party on 29 September and assisted with Grey Lynn 2030’s Grey Lynn Creates Festival as part of the REAL New Zealand Festival.