This is my first report for 2013 covering my activities from 1 December 2012 until 31 January 2013.
Portfolio reports – Transport
The Transport portfolio monthly briefings with Auckland Transport representatives re-commenced on 31 January. Full details of current proposals and issues are outlined in Auckland Transport’s monthly report attached to the Board agenda.
The year has started with a number of complaints and concerns about parking. AT has been consulting on a proposal to install a zone of pay and display parking in Eden Tce. The proposal is intended to address the issue of all day commuter parking blocking visitors to local businesses. I responded directly to Mr Wilson who addressed the Board in December about the scheme and his concern that it doesn’t take into account the needs of residents in a mixed use area. The next step is to hear the results of the consultation and recommendations from AT before taking the proposal further.
The highest number of complaints received by AT come from the Freemans Bay area where commuters are blocking access to on street parking by residents and visitors. I have also responded to a number of calls and emails about this issue. The transport portfolio has given support for AT to work on a solution that is likely to involve a zone approach with price and/or time restrictions.
AT is looking at the results of the St Marys Bay Residents parking scheme and plans to consult on a proposal for the Freemans Bay area in the next couple of months.
Good for business seminar series
Following on from the successful Good for Business seminar held last year in partnership with Auckland Transport and AECOM I am working with Christopher Dempsey to organise two further seminars aimed at the business community. AECOM have agreed to host a parking seminar and one on the accessibility dollar (as part of our Be.accessible plan). AT have indicated that they will be able to fund a guest speaker for the parking seminar which we are looking to hold in March.
Draft Regional Public Transport Plan
Christopher and I presented the Board’s submission on the Regional Public Transport Plan to the hearings panel on 29 January 2013. A copy of our presentation is attached as ATTACHMENT A.
Grey Lynn Footpath upgrade
Thanks to the advocacy work of the Grey Lynn Business Association and the financial contribution from the Board the renewal of the footpaths at the Grey Lynn shops was able to get underway in January. Businesses and residents are really pleased to see the works happening. The contractor has worked hard to minimise disruption and to ensure the works are undertaken as smoothly as possible which has been greatly appreciated by the local businesses.
In January I assisted Shyrel Burt in finalised a consultation plan for our Greenways project. The project featured in Our Auckland and in the Board’s advertorial in February. A Greenways event is planned for 20 February from 4- 7pm at the Richmond Rovers Clubrooms in Grey Lynn Park.
During December and starting again in January the community portfolio worked on
- Consultation plan for our Local Board Agreement and Unitary Plan engagement
- Christmas message from the Board to community representatives
- follow up to the Jim Diers inspired neighbourhood planning proposals
- feedback on the Thriving Communities Auckland Council’s role in supporting communities to flourish discussion document which is attached to the February agenda.
- Planning for a Good Citizen/Volunteer Awards
- Proposal for a working group to develop the Ponsonby Road master plan
I also attended the Youth network meeting in December and a quarterly workshop for all community development portfolio holders in the central area.
The Committee met to consider applications to the second round of community grants funding 2012/13. A total of $24,649.09 was recommended in grants to the Waitemata Local Board ordinary meeting on 11 December 2011. The minutes of the meeting are available here .
Other board activities
Local Board Workshops and meetings Attended:
- Waitemata Youth Network meeting on 3 December at Freemans Bay Hall organised by the Community Development team
- Grants Committee meeting on 3 December
- Waitemata Local Board workshop on 4 December
- Community Development portfolio holders (central area) workshop on 6 December
- Grey Lynn Business Association December meeting
- Waitemata Local Board monthly meeting in Grey Lynn on 11 December
- Presentation on O’Connell Street design concepts
- Community Portfolio meeting on the Thriving Communities discussion document
- Neighbourhood Planning – Follow up to Jim Diers on 14 December meeting hosted by the Deputy – Mayor
- Unitary Plan Local Board update session – Central
- Energy and Climate Change Mitigation Strategy workshop on 17 December – a progress update workshop for councillors and local board members covering the overall ECCM work programme
- Follow up meeting – Thriving Communities Discussion document feedback
- Waitemata Local Board workshop on 18 December
- Community Development and Partnerships Central monthly update meeting on 19 December
- Meeting led by the Chair on 19 December with Ashley Church, Newmarket business Association, officers and Tomizone to discuss the extension of the WIFI zone in Newmarket
- Greenway project consultation planning meeting on 20 December
- Freyberg Square briefing and input meeting on 20 December
- Waitemata Local Board Engagement approach for the Local Board Agreement and Unitary Plan on 21 December
- CEWT Study site walk organised by AT on 15 January – a walk through the Wellesley and Victoria Streets study area to discuss issues, constraints and opportunities
- Meeting with AECOM to discuss further Good for Business seminars
- Scoping the Ponsonby Road Master plan process with planning officers on 16 January
- Development of an inner-city residents survey meeting with the community portfolio
- Auckland Harbour Bridge Pathway project update at Heart of the City on 16 January
- Planning meeting for Waitemata Volunteer Awards on 17 January
- Meeting with Adventure capital CEO to discuss Council street trading by-laws
- Meeting to discuss Waitemata Local Board’s engagement on the Local Board Agreement on 23 January
- Community portfolio meeting with Frances Kelliher (Circability Trust) to discuss proposed use of Campbell Free Kindergarten on 23 January
- Presentation to the Public Hearing on the Draft Regional Public Transport Plan on 29 January
- Draft Local Board Agreement advocacy projects meeting
- Tour of Shed 10 refurbishment with Waterfront Auckland
- Meeting with AT to receive an update on the Transport Management Association for Wynyard Quarter
- Transport Portfolio monthly update with Auckland Transport on 31 January
- Newmarket Business Association meeting to discuss transport matters with David Warburton and senior AT managers on 31 January
- The IPANZ Auckland Two Year on Conference on 10 December – see conference report attached as ATTACHMENT B
Events and functions
I attended the following events and functions during December and January
- Ponsonby Market Day and Franklin Road Christmas Lights on 1 December
- Citizenship ceremony on 4 December
- NZCSI Social Entrepreneurs School Graduation Ceremony, held at Telecom Place on 5 December
- Outlook for Someday sustainability film challenge at the Aotea Centre ( I am a trustee of Connected media that runs the challenge)
- Cycle Action Associates breakfast on 5 December at the Art Gallery
- Western Park Christmas carols hosted by the Board on Sunday 9 December
- Western Bays Community Group meeting on 10 December
- Grey Lynn Business Association Christmas drinks
- Parnell Inc Christmas drinks
- Jacobs Ladder Footbridge Official Opening – invitation of the NZ Transport Agency on 15 December
- Kahui Kaumatua Christmas Luncheon at the Council Chambers (as alternative for the Chair) on 19 December
- British High Commission ‘Great History – Great Future’ Reception for the Rt Hon William Hague on 15 January at Sale Street