It is really exciting to see the draft Ponsonby Road Masterplan printed and ready for feedback. I introduced the idea to set up a working group to develop a draft to the Waitemata Local Board last year. Since then Tricia Reade and I have championed the project through to a beautifully presented draft, packed with ideas to transform Ponsonby Road. We hope the draft will provoke robust discussion and feedback.
The working group made up of iwi, community representatives, stakeholders and the Ponsonby Business Association met over the last 5 months to develop the draft. It was a unique partnership approach to developing a plan that was able to build on previous community initiatives. Through the process we were also able to learn about the Māori heritage of the area. (The Council commissioned report on Māori heritage values and opportunities from in order to better engage with relevant Iwi for the project area is available here)
The draft identifies specific outcomes and provides concepts for all modes of transport, arts and culture, the streetscape and key sites.
Public consultation on the draft masterplan begins on 24 July and will continue until 4 September.
Have your say online
Community open days
- Wednesday, 31 July, 11am-2pm, Leys Institute Library Ponsonby, 20 St Mary’s Road, St Marys Bay
- Wednesday, 7 August, 11am-2pm, Whitespace Gallery, 12 Crummer Road, Ponsonby
- Saturday, 10 August, 10am-3pm, Leys Institute Library Ponsonby, 20 St Mary’s Road, St Marys Bay
- Wednesday, 28 August, 5.30pm-8.30pm, Ponsonby Community Centre, 20 Ponsonby Terrace, Ponsonby
- Thursday, 15 August (6.30pm-8pm) Leys Institute Library Ponsonby, 20 St Marys Road, St Marys Bay
For more information, or to order hard copies of the feedback form, phone 301 01 01 and ask to speak to Alana Thurston.