This is my first report as Chair of the Waitematā Local Board. I was honoured to be elected Chair at the Board’s inaugural meeting on 27 October.
My Chairperson’s address is available here in which I acknowledge the contribution of Shale Chambers as inaugural Chair for 2 terms, thank previous board members for their work, welcome the new team and look ahead to what we wish to achieve over the next three years.
In the next month we will be celebrating the opening of projects delivered under the previous board:
- Weona – Westmere Walkway (photo right)
- New playground at Western Park
- New playground at Grey Lynn Park
Events and activities
Events and activities continued for the board throughout the election period and into the early days of the new term. Here are a few of the highlights in photos.
Skypath has crossed a major hurdle with the Environment Court’s decision on 3rd November to grant consent (still to be confirmed in writing).
I received a last minute call up to talk about this exciting project with Paul Henry on breakfast TV the next day.
Exhibition of proposals for 254 Ponsonby Road “Dreaming a Park” by Auckland University, School of Architecture students work. In the photo left talking with Bruce Hucker who played a lead role in Auckland City Council purchasing the Nosh site for a civic space. (photo credit: Jennifer Ward)
- Auckland Museum Medal awards at Auckland Museum on 19 October
- Parnell Trust AGM on 20 October
- Grey Lynn Farmers Market AGM on 30 October
- Albert-Eden inaugural meeting on 31 October
- Low carbon Network Meeting on 2 November
- Grey Lynn Business Association AGM on 3 November
- Dutch Cycling Embassy presentation hosted by Auckland Transport
- St Marys Bay Association AGM on 9 November
- Armistice Day commemoration at Auckland Museum on 11 November
- Powhiri and Governance Symposium for all Auckland Council elected representatives on 24 October and a range of workshops and meetings associated with getting to grips with chair and governance responsibilities.
Thanks to the crew led by Amy (photo above) who put on a fantastic Parnell Festival of Roses this year. Big crowds, delicious range of food, lots of community stands and entertainment, great atmosphere and blooming marvellous roses.
- Tickets to the Show me Shorts Film Festival
- Tickets to Billy Elliott the Musical at the invitation of ATC
- Tickets to Perplex at the invitation of Silo Theatre
- Invitation to attend the Be Accessible gala dinner at AUT
- Tickets to Flare NZ Trio at Q Theatre
- Westpac Auckland Business Awards gala dinner at the invitation of ATEED